Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Confusing sign

Although it may not look confusing, or be that "abnormal" there are two signs that I think are confusing, in a subtle way. In Massachusetts there are a few towns that are pronounced wildly different than they are spelled. When entering these towns one might be thrown off (if given a destination verbally). About 35 minutes north of me is a small fishing town called Gloucester (this is the less confusing one of my two examples), looking at it you might think it's pronounced "glue-cester" or something similar to that. It is actually pronounced "glawster." The more difficult one, which often gives non-Massachusans an issue is the town of Worcester. I've heard it called Warchester more times than I can count. In reality the Worcester is pronounced "Wusster."

No comments:

Post a Comment